Thursday, January 6, 2011

Subversive Slythertastic

Hello, fellow Slytherins! I'm sure many of you have heard of yarn-bombing, yarn-tagging, guerilla knitting, or knit/crochet-graffiti. After recently receiving a copy of Yarn Bombing by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain, I started browsing yarn bombing blogs and pictures on the internet and thought I'd look into this fiber-based street art, and maybe even give it a try myself.


Anyone with basic knit or crochet skills and a healthy sense of mischief can tackle tagging, armed with yarn, needles or hooks, and an attitude of confident stealth. Have you noticed all of the depressed commuters at the drab-looking bus stop? Perhaps that nearby railing just needs a cute critter added to cheer the place up a bit!



Or maybe that bored parking meter down the block needs stripes on its pole to give it some style.




For the truly ambitious, may I suggest a patchwork cosy for an old fuel station?



A google image search for yarn bomb or yarn graffiti will pull up every imaginable type of subversive crafting project, and there are countless blogs detailing individual yarnbombers' and groups' projects. There are also several yarn bombing and yarn graffiti groups on ravelry to check out, many of them for specific cities, and even one for tagging HP-style.


I am currently working on tags and reconnaissance work to find sites around my town to get up. I plan to keep all my fellow snakes apprised of my yarn bombing forays this term, and if you are having or plan to have any kind of subversive yarn adventures of your own, please let me know. I'd love to interview you and put your pics on the Dungeon Bulletin Board!
When searching for yarn bombs online, I sadly found very few snake-themed ones, which seems like a perfect shape for all of these tubular tags, but the following piece in Vancouver is too excellent not to leave you with (obviously not a killer rabbit):





--ElfLiberator, inciting to craft-riot . . .

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you get up to! (I'm too chicken to try it. Go figure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tagging is fun, I tagged my front tree over a year ago, it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete